Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Nerdcore and Stuff

Nerdcore hip hop seems to be a sub genre of hip hop however it's name is very misleading. It's shorthanded name is "nerdcore" however I'd argue that the genre itself is mislabeled. "core" generally insinuates that it's a derivative or "sub genre" of the sub genre hardcore however this is not the case. Nerdcore by itself is not done to the style of hardcore at all making it actually "nerd rap". Why "nerdcore" seems to be an official sub genre of hip hop because of the artist MC Frontalot. This bothers be because generally anything labeled "nerd" contains contributes from both geeks and nerds and is generally viewed as intelligent. This however does not seem to be the case for nerdcore, it's a blind following of one artist. A more correct term would be like "nerd rap" or "nerd hip hip", thereby making "nerdcore hip hop" a derivative of both hardcore and hip hop (Which is what's currently implied).

Mind you, I like nerdcore:

Antisoc - 100% Free
MC Chris - Listen to most songs online free
MC Lars - Not free (To my knowledge, don't quote me on that)

In Canada it's now illegal to modify anything you own outside of it's intended use / license. Breaking this law could result in 5-10 years in prison (Since July 1st I believe). We have a lot of rights now don't we (Honestly, what's left)?

I'm a top listener on Rdio now, of this writing I'm in 11th place.

Looks like security software's gonna happen soon, I'm excited.

I'm dating another girl now, she's really awesome, in Winnipeg for the holidays though :/.

2 comments:

  1. You almost had it. Much like Hardcore Punk is Punk but 'harder,' Nerdcore Hiphop is Hiphop but 'nerdier.'

    Frontalot coined the term, but he'll be the first to tell you he didn't invent the genre. In fact, he coined it precisely because he noticed all the other people doing essentially the same thing.

    You should probably also check out Beefy, Schaffer the Dark Lord, Optimus Rhyme, and your countrymen Wordburglar and Jesse Dangerously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've checked out Beefy and he seems pretty cool I'll check out the other artists you listed too though, thanks! I like your explanation of Nerdcore though I still don't think it should have a "core" suffix ... it just seems misleading.

    Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete